for ESL (nonnative/L2) writers
- William Zinsser, "Writing English as a Second Language," The American Scholar, Point of Departure (Winter 2010).
A giant among writing stylists, Zinsser gives tips to international graduate journalism students:
- Short is better than long.
- Simple is good.
- Long Latin nouns are the enemy.
- Anglo-Saxon active verbs are your best friend.
- One thought per sentence.
- Dartmouth College: the American academic essay, thesis, argument structure, sentence.
*Virginia Montecino (George Mason University), "Creating an Effective PowerPoint Presentation"